The software is coming in a future update
Samsung read the last e-waste report from Greenpeace too, and likely wasn’t too happy about the slamming it got from the organization. Which leads us to the Korean electronics juggernaut’s system for upcycling old phones. Specifically, the company rigged a bunch of them together and turned them into a bitcoin mining contraption. According to Motherboard, Samsung strung 40 Galaxy S5 together to mine recently, and apparently just eight of them wired together can mine in a way that’s more power-efficient than a desktop computer.
Subscribe to Engadget on YouTube: http://engt.co/subscribe
Get More Engadget:
• Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/engadget
• Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/engadget
• Follow us on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/engadget
• Add us on Snapchat: https://www.snapchat.com/add/engadgetHQ
• Read more: http://www.engadget.com
Engadget is the definitive guide to this connected life.